Hopeful adoptive couples face a slew of paperwork in the adoption process. If you’re already facing emotional or financial pressure, the paperwork can seem overwhelming.
Those who work outside of the home might find it pretty difficult to get ahold of adoption paperwork and reading. But with attentive preparation and planning, you’ll be able to keep up with the paperwork.
Here are 5 super-easy tips to help you deal effectively with adoption paperwork:
1. So that you have quiet time to complete paperwork, start your day an hour earlier than usual. Or, if you’re a night owl, just stay up an hour later. You can use a timer to make sure that you’re spending the whole hour on the adoption-related work you set out to do.
2. Find a quiet area to work, where you won’t get distracted or interrupted. Create a to-do list of paperwork you need to finish, then give yourself realistic deadlines. Your Adoption Coordinator at Lifetime can help you in determining reasonable deadlines if needed.
3. Read inspiring adoption stories and tune into Lifetime’s free adoption webinars at AdoptionWebinar.com. Hearing stories from successful adoptive couples will boost your confidence and determination to complete all necessary paperwork in time. Watching and listening to adoption webinars is a great way to study up on all areas of domestic adoption and open adoption. In the webinars, you can also get tips and insight from adoptive couples who have been where you are and now have a baby!
4. Get a filing system going to organize all your adoption paperwork. By having it all in order, you’ll be able to quickly find documents. This saves you both time and money! We suggest using an online filing system, since many forms can be generated electronically nowadays.
5. Once you complete each session of working on adoption items, create your goals and tasks for the next session. Giving yourself realizable goals helps you remain focused and prepared for the next task at hand.
After you’ve stuck to an organized plan for a few weeks, you’ll be surprised at the amount of adoption paperwork you were able to complete! Each task you complete in the adoption process brings you one step closer to the child God has meant for you.
Founder of Lifetime Adoption, adoptive mom, adoption expert, and Certified Open Adoption Practitioner (C.O.A.P).
Since 1986, adoption expert Mardie Caldwell has been dedicated to bringing couples and birth parents together in order to fulfill their dreams.
“Many years ago, I was also searching for a child to adopt. We didn’t know where or how to get started. Through research, determination, and a prayer, our dream of a family became reality. I started with a plan, a notebook, assistance from a caring adoption consultant and a lot of hard work; this was my family I was building. We had a few heartaches along the way, but the pain of not having children was worse!
Within weeks we had three different birth mothers choose us. We were overwhelmed and delighted. Many unsettling events would take place before our adoption would be finalized, many months later. Little did I know that God was training and aligning me for the adoption work I now do today. It is my goal to share with our families the methods and plans which succeed and do not succeed. I believe adoption should be affordable and can be a wonderful “pregnancy” for the adoptive couple.
I have also been on both sides of infertility with the loss of seven pregnancies and then conceiving by new technology, giving birth to a healthy daughter. I have experienced first-hand the emotional pain of infertility and believe my experience allows me to serve your needs better.
It is my hope that for you, the prospective parents, your desire for a child will be fulfilled soon.”