I did a favor yesterday,
A kindly little deed…
And then I called to all the world
To stop and look and heed.
They stopped and looked and flattered me
In words I could not trust,
And when the world had gone away
My good deed turned to dust.
Helping to make the world a better place by cleaning up our environment or assisting others makes us feel good! There is no better way to lighten a sour mood, than to take the focus off ourselves and concentrate on the needs of those less fortunate. The Bible encourages us to do good deeds in secret. In this way, we are storing up our treasures in Heaven.
If our children happen to witness our kindnesses, we are modeling the Love of Christ. It shows them the standard to which they are held. We all need to do what we can to make this world a better place! Our children can learn a lot about love and sacrifice by watching our behavior. Here are some fun ideas to humbly help out:
- Donate books to your local library, retirement home or school.
- Pay the bridge or expressway toll for the person behind you.
- Visit the elderly that are confined to care homes. Many places allow you to bring small cuddly pets to pass around.
- Donate nonperishable food items to your local food bank. If you are having a party or important event, in lieu of presents, ask each guest to bring a canned food donation.
- Tithe at the church that feeds you spiritually.
- Recycle! Recycle! Recycle!
- Hold open a door for someone in a hurry or burdened with small children.
- Volunteer at your local school or library. Their funding has been cut way back and people are needed.
- Watch people at the lay-a-way counter at Wal-Mart or Kmart. Ask God to show you which person is in great need. After they leave, pay off their account.
- Volunteer to serve food at your local homeless shelter. See if they are lacking in any supplies and fulfill that need!
- Seek out someone in your neighborhood that is disabled or sick and offer to rake leaves or clean their house.
- Send an anonymous letter of encouragement to someone who needs it.
- Pray for your community, nation and world leaders.
- Give a hug to a friend that is feeling down.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Drive respectfully on the roads.
- Bring a neighbor fresh produce or eggs from your garden.
- Surprise your child and his/her friends at lunchtime. Bring them warm cookies at school.
- Write a love letter to your spouse and hide it in their lunch box.
- Forgive those who have hurt you in the past and let it go.