Asian baby boy sleeping on a blue blanket Mardie Caldwell, author of “Adoption: Your Step-by-Step Guide” speaks about a topic that can sometimes be overlooked during the busy adoption process. She speaks about how and when you should get your child’s social security number.

“For your child to qualify as a dependent or to recieve adoption benefits or the earned income and other tax credits, you must provide the IRS with the child’s social security number. Getting this number for your adopted child is the samw as getting it for a biological child. While you can get the number before the adoption is completed, you may want to wait. Then you can apply for the number with your names as the parents and with your child’s new name. You will use Forn SS-5. For a foreign-born adoptee, you will need to provide evidence of age, identity, citizenship or alien status.

For complete instructions about the acquiring a social security number, go to The forms you need are available for download at If you want to claim your child for tax purposes while the adoption is pending, visit and download Form W-7A, which is an application for a taxpayer indetification number for pending adoptions.”

If you have felt a calling to adopt a baby, Lifetime Adoption can answer all of your questions and help you through the process of successful adoption. Please visit our free application.

Heather Featherston
Written by Heather Featherston

As Vice President of Lifetime Adoption, Heather Featherston holds an MBA and is passionate about working with those facing adoption, pregnancy, and parenting issues. Heather has conducted training for birth parent advocates, spoken to professional groups, and has appeared on television and radio to discuss the multiple aspects of adoption. She has provided one-on-one support to women and hopeful adoptive parents working through adoption decisions.

Since 2002, she has been helping pregnant women and others in crisis to learn more about adoption. Heather also trains and speaks nationwide to pregnancy clinics to effectively meet the needs of women who want to explore adoption for their child. Today, she continues to address the concerns women have about adoption and supports the needs of women who choose adoption for their child.

As a published author of the book Called to Adoption, Featherston loves to see God’s hand at work every day as she helps children and families come together through adoption.

Read more about Heather Featherston


Pin It on Pinterest