Question: My husband is facing a prison sentence of quite a few years and I just don’t think I can handle being a single parent and having my son see his daddy in jail. But, I don’t want to say goodbye to my son. I told my friend that I was considering making an adoption plan for my son. She said that I should place him in foster care instead, so that I can reunite with him once I’m ready. Is this possible?

Answer: Foster care can look like a temporary solution to parenting, but in fact it can be quite difficult to change your mind, once your children are involved in the system.

Adoption is a permanent placement, but you have the opportunity to choose the family and have visits in the future. The foster care system doesn’t allow this.

Take the time you need to consider all your options, understanding that the “temporary” nature of foster care may add more trauma and attachment issues to your child’s life. Please call us at Lifetime if you have questions about your choice of adoption: 1-800-923-6784.

Lifetime Adoption
Written by Lifetime Adoption

Pin It on Pinterest