Getting ready for the delivery of your baby can be a nervous and anxious time. It can help to prepare a little ahead of time, so that you have less to think about when your contractions start.
Many women who are choosing adoption for their children feel uneasy packing their hospital bag. BirthmotherBlessings.com will send you a FREE hospital bag with some of the necessities. Call 1-800-923-6602 and ask for a free labor bag.
Here is a list of things you can do in advance of your adoption day:
- Tour the labor and delivery area of the hospital and ask about pre-registering at the hospital.
- Plan to take time off work. You may be eligible for pregnancy disability leave both before and after the birth. Check with your physician and your employer for the proper documents.
- Sign up for childbirth classes, if you feel this knowledge would be helpful to you.
- Decide on your hospital preferences and write them down. Make copies and send one to your adoption professional; this ensures your wishes are known.
- Decide who you want to be at the hospital with you when you deliver. If you have other children, arrange for someone to take care of them while you are in the hospital.
- Have your bag packed and ready to go.
- Decide who will pick you up from the hospital when you are discharged.
- Do you want the baby in the room with you, or would you prefer the baby be kept in the nursery with the adoptive parents?
- Do you want to be in a different area of the hospital away from the labor and delivery area?
- How much do you want the adoptive parents to participate in the birth? Do you want them in the delivery room or waiting outside?
- If you want newborn pictures, let the hospital know.
- When you are discharged, do you want to wait until the baby leaves or do you wish to leave first?
If you have questions about your adoption day, please call us at 1-800-923-6784. Our caring adoption coordinators at Lifetime Adoption are happy to answer your call.