In this list, you will find a variety of books that show the many different perspectives of adoption. We’ve organized this list into books for adopted children, for adoptive parents, books to read at the start of your adoption journey, and books to understand where birth parents are coming from. Each title is linked to its page on Amazon, so you can easily learn more and purchase.
Enjoy, and please feel free to share this list!
Story Books for Adopted Children
• Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis
• Rosie’s Family; An adoption story by Lori Rosove
• I Wished for You: An Adoption Story by Marianne Richmond
• I Prayed for You by Jean Fischer
• God Found Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergen
• How I Was Adopted by Joanna Cole
Parenting Books for Adoptive Parents
• Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldridge
• 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed..Discover the Unique Need of Your Adopted Child and Become the Best Parent You Can by Sherrie Eldridge
• Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today’s Parents by Deborah Gray
• Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent by Lois Melina
• I’m Chocolate, You’re Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World by Marguerite A. White
• The Connected Child: Bring hope and healing to your adoptive family by Karen Purvis
Understanding a Birth Parent Perspective
• So I Was Thinking About Adoption…: Considering Your Choices by Mardie Caldwell
• Restorative Grief: A Guide To Healing From Adoption by Cynthia Christensen
Beginning an Adoption Journey
• Adoption: Your Step-by-Step Guide by Mardie Caldwell
• You Can Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost of Adoption by Julie Gumm
• Called to Adoption: A Christian’s Guide to Answering the Call by Mardie Caldwell
General Adoption Books
• Instant Mom by Nia Vardalos
• Blessed Chaos: A Journey through Instant Motherhood by Ashley Wells
• The Family of Adoption by Joyce Pavao
Founder of Lifetime Adoption, adoptive mom, adoption expert, and Certified Open Adoption Practitioner (C.O.A.P).
Since 1986, adoption expert Mardie Caldwell has been dedicated to bringing couples and birth parents together in order to fulfill their dreams.
“Many years ago, I was also searching for a child to adopt. We didn’t know where or how to get started. Through research, determination, and a prayer, our dream of a family became reality. I started with a plan, a notebook, assistance from a caring adoption consultant and a lot of hard work; this was my family I was building. We had a few heartaches along the way, but the pain of not having children was worse!
Within weeks we had three different birth mothers choose us. We were overwhelmed and delighted. Many unsettling events would take place before our adoption would be finalized, many months later. Little did I know that God was training and aligning me for the adoption work I now do today. It is my goal to share with our families the methods and plans which succeed and do not succeed. I believe adoption should be affordable and can be a wonderful “pregnancy” for the adoptive couple.
I have also been on both sides of infertility with the loss of seven pregnancies and then conceiving by new technology, giving birth to a healthy daughter. I have experienced first-hand the emotional pain of infertility and believe my experience allows me to serve your needs better.
It is my hope that for you, the prospective parents, your desire for a child will be fulfilled soon.”