Bend Oregon will set your heart aflutter. This high desert town is a mecca for those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of big city life and unwind. It is a perfect retreat for active couples to enjoy. There are three hundred days a year of sunshine and spectacular mountain vistas at every turn. Bend it the kind of place you will want to revisit year after year.
Eastern Oregon makes for a wonderful dream vacation. The lush ponderosa pine forests at the edge of town are a magnet for hikers and joggers. Smith Rock State park is a fun place to watch the rocker climbers scale sheer basalt cliffs. Bend is a place you will want to bring your children. It is also a town that encourages a romantic getaway. This quirky town offers a safe and friendly atmosphere that caters to the adventurous outdoorsman in all of us. Like to ski? No problem. Enjoy an amazing gourmet meal? Bend can deliver!
Places to Stay:
- Seventh Mountain Inn and Resort is a great place for families. They offer condominium type accommodations, heated pools, tennis, golf and even kids camp programs. Check out www.SeventhMountain.com .
- Sunriver is beloved by couples and families. It is a private planned resort community tucked at the base of the Cascade Mountain range, just fifteen miles south of Bend. Sunriver offers 35 miles of pedestrian and bike trails that run through the resort and along the river. It has a beautiful club house, 2 pools, 26 tennis courts and a recreation facility. Your family can stay in one of the cozy fireplace lodge village guestrooms. If you are planning a longer vacation, you will want to look into one of the houses or condos that are available for rent. Find out more at www.sunriver-resort.com .
- For accommodations closer to town, the Oxford Hotel, Pine Ridge Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and The Riverhouse Hotel/Convention Center are all good choices. Bend offers many comfortable places to stay at reasonable prices. Trip Advisor.com can fill you in on customer reviews, as well as up to date pricing.
Things to do:
- Mt. Bachelor is a winter playground for all ages. It offers world class skiing and snowboarding in the 370 annual inches of snow that fall each winter.
- Raft with a professional guide along the breathtakingly scenic Deschutes River.
- Explore the amazing High Desert Museum.
- Drive two hours to view Crater Lake National Park.
- Shop in Bend’s Old Mill District and the River Promenade.
- Sample a variety of award winning craft beers at Deschutes Brewery (not for kids).
- Experience a Prix Fixe meal at the Cascade Culinary Institute. The cost is $21 . The meals are prepared and served by the students. Find out more at http://elevationbend.com .
Whatever your family situation, there is something here for every person. Bend has a great vibe. Look up http://bendparksandrec.org to find out more about this great town. It may be hard to get to, but that’s all part of the Bend allure. As you bite into a wood-fired veggie pizza at Jackson’s Corner restaurant and soak in the beauty of your surroundings, you will realize it has been well worth the effort.