couple-doing-taxes-300x216.jpgQuestion: “We just found out that since there was an adoption plan in place, the hospital could not apply for a social security number for our baby. We’re getting ready to file our taxes, and we need our baby’s social security number to take advantage of the adoption tax credit. What are we supposed to do?!” 

Answer: Lifetime has recently learned that the government now requires that a baby’s social security number can only be assigned after the adoption finalizes. This is because they want to use the adopted birth certificate. We understand that depending on your state, it will probably be a few months until your baby’s adoption becomes final. But you don’t have a few months; you need to file taxes soon!

For tax purposes, you will need to apply for a temporary tax identification number for your baby. For complete instructions on how to do this, please visit IRS.gov/individuals/adoption-taxpayer-identification-number. The IRS has included helpful questions and answers about the Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number on this page, as well as a link to the form you’ll need to file with your taxes.

If you have specific questions about how the Adoption Tax Credit will apply to your unique adoption story, we highly recommend that you consult a qualified tax preparer.

Lifetime Adoption
Written by Lifetime Adoption