If you are expecting a baby, you can take proactive measures to assure your baby has the best possible start in life! These five easy-to-follow guidelines will walk you through the steps to nurturing a healthy pregnancy. It is never too late to make your health and that of your unborn child a priority!
- Take a multivitamin with folic acid. Kidney beans, leafy green vegetables, lentils, citrus and whole grains are all good sources of this important vitamin. Lack of folic acid in pregnancy has been linked with spina bifida and neural tube defects in newborns.
- See your doctor regularly to monitor your health and the health of your baby. Get screened and treated for STDs, HIV , blood sugar and/or high blood pressure. Tell your doctor about any medications you might be taking and or drug/alcohol use.
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep each night. This is a key step to wellness!
- Exercise or walk moderately three to four days a week.
- It is fine to eliminate stresses in your life. Drop out of obligations or activities that drain you emotionally and physically. Set limits with others that ask too much of you. This is the time to be calm and focus your energy into growing a healthy baby!